Ours is a full-service Laboratory comprising several labs that focus on different specialties within the field of laboratory medicine. We provide testing in all major areas of clinical laboratory including chemistry, special chemistry, cytology, and molecular microbiology, pathology, urinalysis, hematology, coagulation, and blood banking. We offer a robust menu of tests, with seamless ordering capabilities and test results.
Our lab works in collaboration with the Mayo Medical Laboratories, which serves as the official reference laboratory for Cayuga Medical Center Laboratory. Mayo Medical Laboratories are considered world leaders in both the quality and scope of services of services they provide.
The Cayuga Medical Center Laboratory is licensed by the New York State Department of Health to perform testing in the following categories, in accordance with the Public Health Law:
- Andrology (limited to semen analysis)
- Bacteriology Comprehensive
- Blood pH and Gases
- Blood Services Transfusion
- Cellular Immunology Malignant Leukocyte Immunophenotyping (for interpretation of results only)
- Clinical Chemistry
- Cytopathology Gynecological Testing Non-gynecological Testing
- Diagnosis Immunology Diagnostic Services Serology
- Forensic Pathology
- Hematology Cellular Hematology Coagulation Cytohematology Diagnostic
- Histopathology (general)
- Molecular Microbiology
- Mycobacteriology Restricted
- Mycology Restricted
- Oncology Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Testing Soluble Tumor Markers
- Parasitology Comprehensive Toxicology
- Clinical Toxicology-Initial Testing Only Forensic Toxicology-Initial Testing Only (for breath alcohol testing
- Ther. Sub. Mon./Quant. Tox.
- Urine Pregnancy Testing
To better serve our patients we provide certain extended services. The following special services are available to patients with a doctor’s order:
Fine needle aspiration (FNA) to determine whether a cyst or lump is cancerous or benign, performed by cytopathologist Dr. Daniel Sudilovsky, who is a national expert in FNA. This method for acquiring a tissue sample provides the greatest accuracy rate and is less invasive than other biopsy procedures such as core needle biopsy or surgical biopsy.
Home Phlebotomy Service
Convenient home specimen collection for patients who require blood work but who are unable to travel to one of our five different Laboratory patient service centers in Ithaca, Dryden, Cortland, and Montour Falls. With a physician order our Laboratory provides phlebotomy services for homebound patients.
Nursing Home Phlebotomy Service
On-site collection of blood samples and specimens for residents in area nursing homes.
Informational brochures to help patients understand certain lab tests ordered by their doctors and what preparation, if any, is necessary prior to specimen collection are available in local doctors’ offices.
To better serve our doctors we provide:
- Swift, accurate lab test results available for viewing in physician offices.
- Responsive client service staff members, whose jobs are to answer phone calls and questions coming into the Laboratory from our clients. When physicians contact us by phone, we answer those calls in person.
- Client service representatives working directly with physician offices to ensure that the physicians and their office staff have what they need on site. This includes working closely with physicians’ offices, the student health centers at Cornell University and Ithaca College, and local nursing homes.
- A direct link to the Cayuga Lab Test Catalog.
- Daily courier service from physician practices to our Laboratory to ensure prompt test results for patient specimens collected during physician office visits.
- Continuing growth in local testing capabilities, including diagnostic and prognostic testing for molecular markers for different cancers.
- The ability to view slides with a pathologist upon request.
- The most advanced laboratory technology in the Southern Tier of New York State, including rapid flu, strep, MRSA testing and bacterial identification using MALDI-TOF/Mass Spectraphotometry.
For more information or to set up services, please contact:
Deborah Mansfield, BSMT
Manager of Laboratory Outreach
(607) 274-4474 or email@example.com
Laboratory Outreach Supervisor
(607) 274-4474 or firstname.lastname@example.org