Job Summary: Emergency Medical Associates of Cayuga is seeking part-time and full-time emergency medicine advanced practice providers (APPs) to augment the staff of the Schuyler Hospital emergency department. Schuyler Hospital is a 25-bed critical access hospital located at the southern tip of Seneca Lake in Montour Falls, NY. The Schuyler Hospital emergency department has 6 beds and is staffed by a solo-coverage APP. This APP also takes first call for the hospitalist service from 11pm until 7am. Medical oversight is provided jointly by the Schuyler Hospital physician hospitalist and the emergency physicians at Cayuga Medical Center.
The right candidate has at least four years of ED experience with increasing levels of responsibility and autonomy. Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision as this position is in a solo coverage environment with physicians available via phone or telemedicine for consultation. Must be able to perform life-saving procedures including endotracheal intubation, chest tubes, central line placement, and cardiac arrest/stroke/trauma team leadership. Must adhere to all emergency medicine clinical oversight guidelines and practice protocols put in place by the Cayuga Health System. A successful applicant is collegial, collaborative, adaptive and compassionate.
The APP will follow defined APP physician oversight guidelines and treatment pathways as they develop. Full-time candidates will be expected to contribute to the development of the department by participating in quality improvement initiatives.
Shifts are typically 12 hours in duration, either 0700-1900 or 1900-0700
Occasional options for 24 hours shifts may be available, but are not required
Education, Training and Experience:
General Requirements for all APPs
- Minimum 6000 hours (approximately 3-4 years) as an emergency medicine APP with increasing levels of responsibility
- Desired: 1600 hours solo practice experience or equivalent
- Minimum 25 hours of EM-focused CME hours yearly for each of the past 3 years
- Must have or be eligible for a DEA license (X-waiver preferred)
- Must possess the following certifications (expiration date no sooner than 90 days from anticipated start date):
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS)
- Desired: Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
- Desired: Difficult Airway Course (for EM)
- Demonstrates appropriate critical thinking, interpersonal skills, and the ability to prioritize and concentrate.
- Familiarity with common applications of point of care ultrasound in EM