Donating your time and talent to help others feels good. Won’t you join us?
Volunteers are very important to Cayuga Medical Center at Ithaca. They touch the lives of our patients and their families in many ways.
Our force of over 150 volunteers includes women and men of different ages who come from all walks of life. They work in twenty different medical center departments, ranging from patient care areas to the billing office. They contribute more than 22,000 hours of service every year.
Perhaps you wish to gain experience or information for a potential career change. Maybe you’ve decided to remain active in your retirement years. Possibly you’re in college and considering medical school but have never spent time in a hospital setting. Or maybe you’re just one of those great people who gets a terrific feeling from helping others. Whatever the reason for your interest, Cayuga Medical Center certainly wants to meet you and see if we have a volunteering opportunity that is the perfect fit for you.
How to Become a Volunteer
To volunteer, you must be at least 17 years old. Complete the volunteer application and submit it. Someone in the Volunteer Department will contact you and set up an interview.
When we meet, you’ll have an interview during which we’ll talk about your areas of interest. We’ll ask you to bring:
- Proof from your doctor that you have had a physical exam within the past twelve months
- Confirmation that your vaccinations are up to date
Then you’ll have a thorough orientation to the medical center and to the area in which you’ll be volunteering. Once you are assigned, we’ll figure out a schedule that works for your availability.
Here is some of the work performed by volunteers throughout the medical center.
- Giving directions to visitors and answering the telephone at the visitor reception desk.
- Waiting on customers and stocking shelves in the Gift Shop.
- Assisting nurses with non-medical matters, comforting patients and helping families in the Emergency Department.
- Keeping families company in the surgical waiting room and getting updates for them from the operating room desk.
- Assisting the Intensive/Cardiac Care Unit clerk, talking quietly with family members, keeping track of visitors, and answering the phone.
- Stocking exam rooms at the Urgent Care Center.
- Providing clerical support and transporting patients throughout CMC.
- Signing people in at patient admissions and helping them to get to their destination.
We hope you can see yourself in one or more of these activities, because your help would mean a lot to us.
If you’d like more information about volunteer opportunities at Cayuga Medical Center at Ithaca, please email Crystal Barkman at email@example.com. Thank you! It will be great to have you on board.