Podiatric Medicine at Cayuga Medical Center
Almost everyone will suffer from a foot problem at some time in his or her life. Your foot is a complex instrument and is composed of 26 bones, 19 muscles, 33 joints and more than 100 ligaments.
Foot pain or diseases of the foot can be extremely hard on patients because they can limit activity and mobility, causing simple, every-day activities to become painful and challenging to perform.
As a doctor of podiatric medicine (D.P.M.), your podiatrist is the only specialist trained to care exclusively for foot and ankle problems.
Our podiatrists perform a number of surgical procedures to correct painful foot problems.
- Realignment of toe joints deformed by bunion, joint implants, and bone fusion
- Hammer toe correction
- Metatarsal surgery to alleviate pain and callous formation
- In the realm of soft tissue surgery, they treat neuromas (pinched nerves), tarsal tunnel release, soft tissue tumors (cysts and ganglions), plantar fasciotomies
- Surgical and laser wart removal
- Shock-wave therapy to treat heel pain
The most common ailments treated by podiatrists include:
- Diabetic foot care
- Flat feet
- Heel pain
- Ingrown and fungal toenails
- Sports injuries